To celebrate the launch of Shop Shoresh, we are starting a new series of profiles: Hive Heroes!
Hive Heroes are the awesome folks in our community who educate, inspire, and empower us to be Shomrei Adamah, Protectors of the Earth, and Shomrei Devorim, Protectors of the Bees.
Our next featured Hive Hero is Ayda! Ayda is almost seven and has been helping out in our apiary and at our annual honey harvests since she was just a few weeks old! Ayda loves getting suited up to get close to the bees (she even got to hold one of the male drones on her hand last month!) and is an expert at uncapping the full honey frames (and prides herself on being “in charge” of the uncapping station) during the harvest.
- What’s your favourite thing about honey bees?
My favourite thing about honey bees is that they make honey.
- What’s something you can say to someone who is scared of bees to help them realize how awesome bees are, so they won’t be afraid?
Honey bees won’t hurt you unless you are trying to hurt the queen.
- If you were a honey bee, what would be your favourite plant?
If I were a honey bee, my favourite plant would be mint because there are so many flowers.
- What’s your favourite way to eat Bela’s Bees Raw Honey?
My favourite way to eat Bela’s Bees Honey is by dipping apples in it.
- What’s your favourite part of harvesting honey?
My favourite part of harvesting honey is uncapping it.