Shoresh is the Hebrew word for “root.” Grounded in Canadian soil, Shoresh helps community members get back to their Jewish roots.
Through nature-based Jewish education, Shoresh leads, inspires, and empowers our community to be Shomrei Adamah, protectors of the earth. Integrating awareness, action, and advocacy, Shoresh’s programs and initiatives demonstrate that sustainability is a Jewish value and offer community members meaningful opportunities to be responsible stewards of the natural world.
An empowered local Jewish community where sustainability is core to Jewish identity and environmental engagement is central to Jewish life.
As a Jewish charity, we ground our work in Jewish teachings and ethics. The following are the core Jewish values that ground and guide our programs, spaces, ventures, and working processes:
- Mah Rabu. Hold a sense of radical amazement of the majesty and diversity of the natural world.
- L’ovdah u’l’Shomrah. Be responsible stewards of the earth.
- Tzedek Tzedek Tirdof. In the face of climate change and species extinction, pursue justice for the earth and its creatures
- Kehilah. Through radical inclusivity, build a cohesive, pluralistic, and interconnected Jewish community, united by a shared relationship with nature.
- Zehut. Deepen personal Jewish identity through earth-based Jewish experiences.
THEORY OF CHANGE
To better understand Shoresh’s approach to nurturing a generation of Shomrei Adamah, protectors of the earth, check out our Theory of Change.